Friday, October 1, 2010

Monument Valley

I left Cortez, CO this morning for Page, AZ. About 40 miles outside Cortez, right off Highway 160, is the ‘Four Corners Monument’. This is the only intersection in America where four states meet. The monument is on Navajo ground. For all parks and monuments on Native American ground you have to pay admission. In this case $3.00

Almost in the middle between Cortez and Page is ‘Monument Valley’. It is also on Navajo ground: $ 6.00 general admission.
You can drive your own car through the valley, but the roads are rough (unpaved) with deep tracks. I don’t think my car would have made it through without getting stuck. My niece already warned me in advance.
So I decided to take a guided tour on one of the converted trucks with 4 rows of benches on the truck bed. The good news is that you enjoy the site outside. The bad news is that you breathe the dust of the truck ahead of you.
They offer two standard tours: The short tour is about 1-1/2 hours for $65.00, the long tour for $75.00 takes about 2-1/2 hours. So I supersized and got lucky. We were only three on the tour (a nice couple from Arkansas and I). The Navajo tour guide, an electrician by trade, was nice and took his time. We were almost 3 hours in the valley.
Full of red dust I headed for Page…

P.S.: When you read these blogs please keep in mind:
  • They a written after a hard day of vacationing
  • With a program that does not have spellcheck
  • Lately at elevations of 5,000 feet and above ...

Four Corners



  



Trip to Monument Valley





Monument Valley:














Our guide gave us a short flute concert




No comments:

Post a Comment