Saturday, October 2, 2010

Antelope Canyon

I came to Page to visit the Antelope Canyon. Carol told me about it, and after I checked it out on the Internet I had to see it. I did not get disappointed. It is one of the highlights of this trip so far.
Antelope Canyon is a narrow winding canyon formed by water and wind. The sun enters through the narrow slot on the top and creates the most beautiful colors, which change during the course of the day. Antelope Canyon is on Navajo ground. Access is only possible with guided tours.
There are two sections: the Upper Canyon and the Lower Canyon. The tours are operated by different companies. It seems that the Upper Canyon Tour Company has better connections and gets better advertisement. Therefore there are much more visitors in the Upper Canyon. I was there on a Saturday, and all tours were full. They almost pushed you through. It seems that I took a little too much time. The tour guide had to come back at the end of the tour to get me. The rest of the group was already waiting on the truck.
Afterwards I walked through the Lower Canyon: Much fewer visitor, much more relaxed. You could take all the time you needed. I think the Lower Canyon is actually nicer than the Upper Canyon.
The same company that runs the Lower Canyon tours also operates and bull riding arena in Page. A bull riding event was scheduled for tonight. No question I had to go and see it …(because I got a $1-off coupon for the admission). It seems the event was sold out (at least you could not fit more people on the bleachers). New Jersey Fire Marshalls would have a heart attack if they had to approve this event. I also realized how dangerous bull riding is. Quite a few cowboys got stepped on by the bulls and they had to be treated by medics.
Between the canyon tours and the bull riding I had a cool beer at Antelope Point on the beach of Lake Powell. The sign leading up to the restaurant tells me that it is “the largest floating restaurant in the world”. I guess I have to believe it.

Upper Canyon











Lower Canyon















Bull Riding








1 comment:

  1. W,
    Well.Kiddo, you finally did it....had to print several for possible water colors..beyond belief!....(Thk U Thk U), and inspiring! We have rodeo in SJ - @ Cowtown..lets go sometime
    G

    ReplyDelete