Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mesa Verde

I left the Kalkmans this morning to head west. I made reservations in Cortez near Mesa Verde.

The GPS took me down 550, then 62 and 145 through the Colorado ski country near Telluride and through the San Juan National Forest. My eyes got spoiled and my car got quite a workout. Montrose is about 5,000 ft (1,500 m) and we had to climb as high as 10,300 ft (3,100 m) and down to around 7,000 ft (2,100 m) in Mesa Verde. Lots of manual shifting.

Mesa Verde was the habitat of the Puebloans. They inhabited the area for about 700 year before they moved south and never returned. For the last hundred years (1200 to 1300 AD) they built their dwellings in mountain alcoves. There are about 600 dwellings in Mesa Verde.

Some of the dwellings can only be visited with guided tours because the access is pretty dangerous: worn out stone steps, 32 foot high ladders, 18" wide tunnels. But as usual, it's worth it (if you can make it; I was told that one person on our group froze in the middle of the 32 foot ladder ....)


Montrose to Cortez






Mesa Verde















1 comment:

  1. W,
    These Mese Verde photos are just great- how do you maintain such quality and surreal beauty- and that ladder- no way! I am surprised that tourist are not dying in their attempts - ( I know you will photo all "mishaps") - be safe - thanks as usual for all..Gene & Joan

    ReplyDelete