Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bryce Canyon

This morning I took a second tour through the Lower Antelope Canyon. I even got up early to see the canyon in the morning sun. Afterwards I left for my next stop northwest from Page: Bryce Canyon in Utah.
As usual for the Northwest the drive along Route 89 through Glen Canyon and Red Canyon National Scenic Byway was beautiful. I got to Bryce Canyon around 3:00 pm (I lost one hour due to change in time zone). After checking in and a little work I headed for the Bryce Canyon National Park.
Bryce Canyon is unique because the formations (called Hoodoo) are created through freeze / thaw cycles, rather than through water or wind erosions.
One of the stops along the park road is called Sunset Point. It was close to sunset, so I got out and walk the trail along Sunset Point. Suddenly somebody called my name. Can’t be. Maybe it is the high altitude. I turn around and see the nice couple from Arkansas I met on the tour through Monument Valley. We talk for a little and had  dinner together later that evening.
Dark clouds showed up and it did not take long for the rain to start. I headed back to the hotel room. After some time I stepped outside to check the rain and saw a beautiful rainbow across the sky. When I checked again about 15 minutes later I saw my first double rainbow.

Lower Antelope Canyon - Take Two

This is the entrance to the Lower Antelope Canyon













Bryce Canyon











Rainbow





1 comment:

  1. W, Such a perfect and magical rainbow! if that doesn't bring you continued wealth and sucess , I don't know what will ( You thought it was hard work??)
    Your trips and photos deep into theses canyons are kind of a spiritual experience for me..Thanks G

    ReplyDelete