Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Mount Rushmore

I left Mitchell South Dakota to head for Mt. Rushmore. More corn fields on either side of the road until I crossed the Missouri River. Then the corn fields gave way to green rolling hills with black dots. The black dots turned out to be cows ...

The beginning of the day was pretty cool, and the windshield got a pretty good cleaning again. But after about 2 hrs the sky cleared and it turned into a sunny day.

I left I-90 to take the Badlands Loop through the Badlands National Park. I'm glad I did. It was a beautiful drive through a gigantic sand castle.

Since there are only corn fields along the road you keep yourself busy reading ervery sign along the road. For the last few hundred miles I noticed a sign 'WALL DRUG', offering everything from cowboy boots to a hot cup of coffee. Of course I was curious what 'WALL DRUG' is.

The Badland Loop actually ended in Wall, so I check out the WALL DRUG: It looked like Atlantic City's Wild Wild West without the slot machines. The slot machines were replaced by erverything 'West  ' for sale.

Since the speed limits are a little higher in this region I got to Mt Rushmore earlier than expected. I also gained an hour because I crossed a time zone. So I could visit the monument in the afternoon, have some dinner, and then visit the 'ceremonial lighting of the monument in the evening.


Badlands National Park:










WALL DRUG:


Mount Rushmore













No comments:

Post a Comment