Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Memphis

I got to the Peabody Hotel on time to see the 11:00 am entrance of the ducks. The 5 ducks come down the elevator and cross the lobby on the red carpet into the marble fountain. At 5:00 pm the ducks return to the rooftop the same way. This procedure repeats every day.
Then I followed Frommer’s again to walk downtown Memphis. Off Beal Street I found two unexpected venues to visit:
·         The Gibson guitar factory, where a took a factory tour, and
·         The FedEX Forum, where I got ticket for season opener of the Memphis Girzzlies tonight.
I had it all figured out: Visit the Lorraine Motel, where Martin Luther King was assassinated in 1968. It was converted to the National Civil Rights Museum. It is a pretty powerful museum. Then I have dinner at Erika’s serving Austrian and German food and got great reviews from Frommer’s. Then I’ll go to the game.
I did find Erika’s, the sign still projected off the wall, but it seems the restaurant did go out of business. I guess Frommer’s is not quite up-to-date. So I settled for BBQ pork at BB King’s Blues Club.
At the game the Memphis Symphony performed the National Anthem.  Needless to say, the Memphis Grizzlies lost their season opener at home against the Atlanta Hawks.






















No comments:

Post a Comment