Saturday, September 18, 2010

Oak Park

My 'economy hotel' is about 12 miles outside of Chicago near O'Hare. When I reach out the hotel window I can tough the tires of the landing planes.

I first thought I would tour Chicago first, but then I decided to visit  Oak Park first. It is about half way between the hotel and Chicago. It worked well, because I found a convenient train connection between Oak Park and Chicago.

Oak Park is the birthplace of Ernest Hemingway, and Frank Lloyd Wright lived and had his studio here from 1889 to 1909.

I took the Wright house tour (no photos allowed inside), and then used my handy iphone to tour Oak Park and looked at about 15 houses and the Unity Temple designed by Wright. It was a little tricky to joggle the back pack, camera, iphone and the umbrella. It was a cloudy day with stretches of pretty heavy rain.
Mi Hyun's big 'Hugo Boss' umbrella came in pretty handy and kept me dry.

I was almost done with the tour when I happen to come to an outdoor festival: the OAKtoberfest. And near the festival plaza I saw the train station. It is only a 10 minute ride to Chicago ....

Unity Temple







Wright's House




Some of the houseds designed by Wright






Hemingway Birth House


OAKtoberfest


Off to Chicago


No comments:

Post a Comment